Did you know that the ride-on-gophers have two speeds? There is the tortoise speed and then the rabbit speed. One can move around at tortoise speed, or go up to rabbit speed. If things are getting out of hand, the switch can easily be flicked back to tortoise speed.
I was thinking that wouldn’t it be nice if life was like that? If we could have the ability to easily switch between speeds, to pace ourselves. I know as a Mum I am not much use to my family and others, if I have been in rabbit speed for too long! I know my children sometimes need practice changing speeds. In life it is not always as easy to just move the switch to change speeds.
I came across this blog the other day and wanted to include it here, maybe it will help you and your family switch from rabbit speed to tortoise speed. (From ‘The art of simple’ by Brooke McAlary)
“We will always have something else to do or somewhere else to be.
Choose to stop anyway.
The truth is, it doesn’t take much time. You could:
- Take ten deep, slow breaths. Breath in, count slowly to five. Hold for five. Out for five.
- Spend two minutes sitting quietly, carefully taking stock of each of your senses.
- Find your kids and play a joy-filled game of hide and seek.
- Go outside and stare at the clouds.
- Bend down and get your hands in the dirt. Plant something. Water something. Revel in the vitality of being.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for.
- Write a poem. Draw a picture. Create, with no agenda in mind.
- Have a nap in the middle of the day. Just because.
The ‘secret’ to slowing down is simply to slow down.
It is that simple. And that difficult.”